Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Checking in...

It's been really crazy lately at the school I teach at and I think that running has kind of kept me grounded. Last fall, while I was on maternity leave, one of our teachers passed away in his sleep. It hit the kids and faculty really hard. About a week ago a 9th grader (along with her mother and younger brother) was shot and killed by her step-father. Last Friday was the funeral and many of my 9th graders were there.

Sunday afternoon I got a call that a teacher in my department passed away Saturday night. Totally unexpected. She was in her early 50's (but she looked ten years younger) and in perfect health. Actually, she was one of the people I work with that inspired me to get into shape. Until a couple of years ago, Terri ran full and 1/2 marathons on a regular basis. We're all still in shock at school. Ironically, I thought of her last weekend when I was shopping at H&M because she shopped there a lot - she had amazing style.

I'm glad I'm still keeping up with running and I think it's helping me keep busy. I ran day two of week 5 yesterday. I ran 8 minutes, walked 5, ran 8, walked 5. The first 8 minutes were killing me until I realized Chris had just used the treadmill and left the incline at 4! I guess that's a drawback of sharing a treadmill :) The Disney 1/2 marathon is 50% full so we'll hopefully be signing up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment